Tones I made for jamming

Show off your tones here, including sound fragments
Forum rules
Keep it nice, keep it clean. This forum is not run by Positive Grid, so complaints about slow deliveries and the like will be removed as they're useless.
DrBaroni
Italy

Tones I made for jamming

Post by DrBaroni »

Hello,
just uploaded my first tone to the ToneCloud...
I don't usually try to replicate the tones of a specific guitarist or song. I build up the tone as if it was an actual chain of pedals, and I use them to play over chord progressions on a looper or (alas, very rarely) to jam with friends. Usually, it is a clean tone, that can be used for rythm and boosted for a clean solo, and there are a couple things to turn on to beef up the solo (or the rythm itself), in this case a chorus, a delay, and, to make it fat and warm, a BigMuff. So think of it as a pedalboard set you use stepping the pedals on and off... ;)

It's called Clean Muff, it has a few tags in it (rig, clean, distortion, DB), and the author is listed as Davide Baroni.
There's another tone with the same name, sorry, I didn't know it existed, or I'd give mine a different name. :roll:

All feedbacks will be appreciated. I'm just learning to use this beast.
S@muele
Italy

Re: Tones I made for jamming

Post by S@muele »

I like it, it's pretty flexible.
a curiosity, why adjusting the decay (of the noisegate) to the maximum?
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

S@muele wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:24 pm I like it, it's pretty flexible.
Thank you. :)

About the decay... It's something I'm still making experiments with. I read somewhere someone suggesting to use this setting to minimize the effect of the noise gate on the sustain, I don't know whether it works or not, I'm still trying it, and I don't have much time for the experiments. As I never used a noise gate before, I don't really know what the "decay" does. :roll:
Anyway, thi is the "reference" I found, and if true it explains the reasons for setting it like that:

Decay / Release ? this controls the amount of time before the gate closes after being open. If you have the decay set low, the gate will close immediately your signal reaches the desired threshold, giving your sound a choppy, almost robotic quality. Setting it high will give it a softer quality, with the gate slowly closing for a more natural tightness.
(source: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-nois ... edal-guide )
S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

DrBaroni wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:55 am
S@muele wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:24 pm I like it, it's pretty flexible.
Thank you. :)

About the decay... It's something I'm still making experiments with. I read somewhere someone suggesting to use this setting to minimize the effect of the noise gate on the sustain, I don't know whether it works or not, I'm still trying it, and I don't have much time for the experiments. As I never used a noise gate before, I don't really know what the "decay" does. :roll:
Anyway, thi is the "reference" I found, and if true it explains the reasons for setting it like that:

Decay / Release ? this controls the amount of time before the gate closes after being open. If you have the decay set low, the gate will close immediately your signal reaches the desired threshold, giving your sound a choppy, almost robotic quality. Setting it high will give it a softer quality, with the gate slowly closing for a more natural tightness.
(source: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-nois ... edal-guide )
Yes sure,
what is indicated on the Decay in this reference would make sense if PG allows us to set the gate as it should really be used.
I tried to do some tests but I don't perceive appreciable differences, I'm still hoping for a firmware update that improves this thing
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

Shared one more tone on ToneCloud... Same idea of the previous one, it's actually a "rig" in which the pedals are called to work when needed. This one is a totally clean tone, I use it on any of my two strat-like guitars with EMG active pickups, mid PU for rhythm and either mid+neck or just neck for solo, tone knob at 5 out of 10, on the Charvel I use the mid booster for the solo.
It's called 1DB-Clean, my name as author, tags DB - Clean - Boost :)
Enjoy. I'm trying to upload a 4 minutes video using that tone, although the sound is pitiful (I used the video recording function of the Spark App, and I'm not happy with the sound...).

PS: Ok, I got it uploaded on YouTube https://youtu.be/nFLOGJXvoZU. Forgive me, it's really bad and the volume is too low. :(
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

Ok, got the 1DB-Clean tone recorder via the headphone plug into my TASCAM-DR07 MkII. Don't shoot the player! :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyh352qkbuv2t ... r.mp3?dl=0
Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Post by Richard »

I love how some of you are sharing sounds and clips of your playing. Makes this board more fun and alive. Thank you for your efforts!
--
Spark40 #SO4OC1033322
XVive U2 Wireless System
Fender HSS Stratocaster
Heartfield DR-6
Chinese Gothic Explorer copy
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

And here I am again, after a while without even playing. :)
Here's a sample of my tone "Clean Muff", when it has the BigMuff and the Delay both ON (and the latter slightly adjusted for the song ;) ).
Improvising on a backing track of one of my favourite David Gilmour songs, "Raise my rent", using my 1984 Charvel-Jackson mod.4, tone at about 2, volume at about 8, bridge EMG 89 active pickup mostly in splitted position, mid boost full on. :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ssq9t7paphzq ... l.mp3?dl=0
I find this particular tone very versatile, as Simone outlined. Simple, but easy to adapt to pretty much every need of mine. :)
Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Post by Richard »

Very nice!
--
Spark40 #SO4OC1033322
XVive U2 Wireless System
Fender HSS Stratocaster
Heartfield DR-6
Chinese Gothic Explorer copy
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

Richard wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:22 pmVery nice!
Thank you, Richard, you're very kind. :)

Today or tomorrow I'll try another DG backing track, I just want to finish reviewing the setup of my Cort guitar first, I'm trying to check intonation at the moment. :)

This backing tracks thing is very useful, I love it. It's a very recent discovery for me. I'll possibly try to use them to actually LEARN some songs... :)