The right sound for certain songs

Show off your tones here, including sound fragments
Forum rules
Keep it nice, keep it clean. This forum is not run by Positive Grid, so complaints about slow deliveries and the like will be removed as they're useless.
S@muele
Italy

Re: The right sound for certain songs

Post by S@muele »

J.C. wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 am Hey Samuele you are right. The time preset was one of my first attempts and i forgot this with the Noisegate.
The Noisegate is not very good. In newer Sound Presets i use it, if it`s neccessary, but i let the threshold closed. So it helps a bit against the noise but not completely. But like you said if you open the threshold it kills the tone/Sustain immediatly. I forgot this at my Time-preset and now i cannot change it anymore. I use this Preset by myself but i turned the threshold complete to the left. Than the preset works fine.
Thanks for your note.
@J.C.
I uploaded the "comfortably numb @" preset with tag "Samuele" or "Spark" to the tonecloud
can you please try it and then tell me how it sounds and how you feel with it?
(or anyone who wants to try it and tell me their impressions and how it sounds with their setup)
today the new replacement power supply arrived and most of the background noise disappeared, so I could better develop the tone that I heard in the video of the Live concert in Gdansk, inserting in the preset those that are the most characteristic effects of Gilmour, such as the Big Muff and the Flanger and using an amplifier with an American tone that makes everything sharper and a little acid, clearly with the bridge pickup, preferably in the Strat ;)
thanks
The56Kid
Puerto Rico

Post by The56Kid »

Thanks for sharing these, Jurgen. I saved most of them and the sound great!

Samuele, I’ve yet to try your Comfortably Numb preset but I will do so and let you know what I think.
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

Thanks a lot, Jurgen, I will download some of them (those that I'd use) in time. Like "Sorrow", Gary Moore, some more of them. Your tones are really good (at least for me). Thank you for sharing them. :)
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

Samuele, domani sera proverò il tuo nuovo preset ;)
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

DrBaroni wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 pm Thanks a lot, Jurgen, I will download some of them (those that I'd use) in time. Like "Sorrow", Gary Moore, some more of them. Your tones are really good (at least for me). Thank you for sharing them. :)
I really like the sorrow preset.
It's really dirty.
Lots of background noise but very welcome in this case.
S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

thanks guys,
starting from the assumption that there is a lot of subjectivity in choosing a sound and therefore everyone has their own preferences
but what I would like to understand is mainly if by loading the preset in your Spark, even in your configuration it means, if the tone you hear resembles the live video of the live concert in Gdansk as I feel it (you can find it on youtube in HQ) or if it is very different.
To understand if the Spark really has potential in managing effects in comparison with reality or is it just a cheap guess sounds at random.
I hope I have explained myself better.. :?
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

Generations of guitarists have been desperate when trying to recreate the tone of David Gilmore. Before the sound comes out of the loudspeaker, it goes through a long, long chain of effects.
To claim that I can reproduce this tone 1: 1 with the little Spark amp by turning a few knobs would be presumptuous.
I think in this case you can be satisfied if you can play with a good fitting preset to the original backing track and have the feeling that it goes well together and harmonizes.
In my opinion, we can't get the original sound of David Gilmore with the Spark.
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

In my opinion, the sounds that can be created with the Spark app can sometimes be very good.
However, there are tons of presets in the Toncloud that are the exact opposite.
This includes, of course presets that have been uploaded by users, that are so quiet that you can't even hear them. Often the threshold of the noise gate is raised too far and the tone dies. Often the effects are set too strong.
There is one thing you should be aware of with the more than 10,000 presets, and I've written that before. PG advertised these before even a single Spark was delivered. This means that they were not made with the Spark app, but come from other, previous programs / apps from PG. But what was created with Jamup, for example, and sounds great there, doesn't necessarily have to sound good with the Spark.
Go to the Tonecloud, there on All, sort by popularity. With the hits that are then displayed, you think these are the best presets there are for the Spark. The presets created by PG, which are located below, are also very good thanks to the series.
Otherwise, at least the front 100-150 presets were not created with the Spark app but were adopted from other applications, see above.
I don't think any Preset created with Spark has over 200 favorite hearts at this point.
If you take that into account, you can work better with the cloud.
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

S@muele wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:31 am ...what I would like to understand is mainly if by loading the preset in your Spark, even in your configuration it means, if the tone you hear resembles the live video of the live concert in Gdansk as I feel it (you can find it on youtube in HQ) or if it is very different.
To understand if the Spark really has potential in managing effects in comparison with reality or is it just a cheap guess sounds at random.
I hope I have explained myself better.. :?
J.C. has already answered your question above. I'd like to add just one more thing, that I could almost quote from a David Gilmour interview: how your tone sounds depends a good deal on your fingers. Gilmour claims in that interview that he basically gets a very similar sound out of any guitar, because that is how HE plays. And I tend to agree: even in my super-limited experience, my own guitars played by me and played by anyone else, especially someone who is good at playing (and the more good s/he is the more you'll notice this), they seem totally different instruments, though using the very same guitar, tones, effects and amp. Heck, it happens with my CLASSICAL guitar too! :D
S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

J.C. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 am Generations of guitarists have been desperate when trying to recreate the tone of David Gilmore. Before the sound comes out of the loudspeaker, it goes through a long, long chain of effects.
To claim that I can reproduce this tone 1: 1 with the little Spark amp by turning a few knobs would be presumptuous.
I think in this case you can be satisfied if you can play with a good fitting preset to the original backing track and have the feeling that it goes well together and harmonizes.
In my opinion, we can't get the original sound of David Gilmore with the Spark.
obviously I don't despair and I don't have the presumption to go that far, that's certainly not what I meant..
I just wonder if there is a logical thread in the choice and use of the effects or it can all be valid and who cares :)