Connecting Spark Amp to a bass amp. Should I use a preamp?

Topics about the forum...and plz introduce yourself!
Forum rules
Keep it nice, keep it clean. This forum is not run by Positive Grid, so complaints about slow deliveries and the like will be removed as they're useless.
paris1003
United States of America

Connecting Spark Amp to a bass amp. Should I use a preamp?

Post by paris1003 »

I just logged in for the first time. I purchased the Spark Amp and I love it and the app. The only thing I wish was better is the real bottom end that I get from my Behringer combo bass amp. The tones and effects I get from the Spark are great, I just wish it had more punch. I have plugged the Spark to my bass amp through the headphone jack, and it is better, but I am wondering if I need a preamp pedal in between the two to really get the most out of my setup. I don't play gigs, I just play at home for my own enjoyment. Any thoughts on if a preamp pedal will improve my setup? Thanks! By the way, I do play my acoustic and electric guitars through the Spark, and it sounds great!
DanL1553
United States of America

Re: Connecting Spark Amp to a bass amp. Should I use a preamp?

Post by DanL1553 »

I haven’t tried a bass through my Spark 40; however, if you have a Boost Pedal, you may want to try putting that directly into the Spark Amp-Guitar Chain. Members on the Positive Grid Forum have indicated that the Spark 40 works great with real pedals.
Dan Lawrence
Fullerton, CA 8-)
paris1003
United States of America

Post by paris1003 »

Thanks for the response. I looked into boost pedals, and saw some that looked promising, but in a Youtube video that popped up, the guy was talking about what some people use for a boost pedal, and he mentioned a Tube Screamer, which I have, but haven't gotten a chance to try it out. When I do, I will come back here and let you know how it went. Thanks again.
paris1003
United States of America

Post by paris1003 »

I tried the Tube Screamer, as well as my other pedals, Boss bass chorus and Boss compression sustainer, and it didn't work well, unless I did something wrong (which is highly likely). But while I was experimenting, I just used my original pedal board, which includes the pedals above along with a Zoom 506II Bass effects pedal, which has dozens of effects and sounds (I forgot about what this pedal does. Great!) I have a Rickenbacker 4003 bass with Rick-o-Sound. So I used a cable splitter plugged into the Rick-o-Sound input jack, plugged one cable into the Spark Amp, and the other into my bass amp, and...AMAZING! I have all the effects of the Spark and pedals, and the punch of my bass amp! I'll have to check to see if this setup works with my other basses that don't have a special input like Rick-o-Sound, but with the Zoom pedal, I won't need the Spark for those. Success!
DanL1553
United States of America

Post by DanL1553 »

Great! Glad it worked out.
Dan Lawrence
Fullerton, CA 8-)