The right sound for certain songs

Show off your tones here, including sound fragments
Forum rules
Keep it nice, keep it clean. This forum is not run by Positive Grid, so complaints about slow deliveries and the like will be removed as they're useless.
S@muele
Italy

Re: The right sound for certain songs

Post by S@muele »

DrBaroni wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:00 am J.C. has already answered your question above. I'd like to add just one more thing, that I could almost quote from a David Gilmour interview: how your tone sounds depends a good deal on your fingers. Gilmour claims in that interview that he basically gets a very similar sound out of any guitar, because that is how HE plays. And I tend to agree: even in my super-limited experience, my own guitars played by me and played by anyone else, especially someone who is good at playing (and the more good s/he is the more you'll notice this), they seem totally different instruments, though using the very same guitar, tones, effects and amp. Heck, it happens with my CLASSICAL guitar too! :D
it was absolutely not my intention to take the path of sound that comes from the soul and bla bla, hold up! (or hold on I don't remember what the right way to say) :D
I was simply curious to understand the potential of Spark's effects
I took the sound of J.C. which is quite similar and nice, but with a marshall never really used by Gilmour, then I was wondering if PG really developed realistic or approximate tones in the amp
I didn't want to reproduce the real tone of the song with $ 200
it is not easy to explain what I mean here, plus my English is not the best...
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

I also have my problems with the English language. :x
But now I think I have understood what you could mean.

The amps from PG are based on the original, some more some less.
If Santana would mostly play boogies now, it makes sense to start with this when creating a sound. But that doesn't always work. The Marshall in the Comfortably numb preset wasn't my first choice. I then tried many and stuck with this one because it suited me best. Before that, I wouldn't have believed that the Malmsteen Amp (stands for heavy high gain) could be suitable for this.
Another example ... Hendrix stands for Marshalls. My Hendrix preset with the most downloads is built with a Fender simulation.
So there is no magic bullet, you have to try until it somehow fits. That can take time.

I had already made my own presets in Jamup. I always look first what I've done there. But I haven't been able to simply take over a single preset. It always has to be tinkered with and often i had to change the amp.
On Jamup i have many Presets built with the Treadplate. But with the spark i don't like this amp very much.
However, I think the "American High Gain" amp is a good replacement. So I don't really need the Treadplate anymore.
Probably the first choice for metal.

S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

J.C. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:37 am The amps from PG are based on the original, some more some less.
If Santana would mostly play boogies now, it makes sense to start with this when creating a sound. But that doesn't always work. The Marshall in the Comfortably numb preset wasn't my first choice. I then tried many and stuck with this one because it suited me best. Before that, I wouldn't have believed that the Malmsteen Amp (stands for heavy high gain) could be suitable for this.
Another example ... Hendrix stands for Marshalls. My Hendrix preset with the most downloads is built with a Fender simulation.
So there is no magic bullet, you have to try until it somehow fits. That can take time.

I had already made my own presets in Jamup. I always look first what I've done there. But I haven't been able to simply take over a single preset. It always has to be tinkered with and often i had to change the amp.
On Jamup i have many Presets built with the Treadplate. But with the spark i don't like this amp very much.
However, I think the "American High Gain" amp is a good replacement. So I don't really need the Treadplate anymore.
Probably the first choice for metal.
exactly for these reasons, you got it right and comfortbly was just one example.
if everything is valid then PG must not boast fidelity by approximation...
moreover with metal there is also the momentary problem of using an amp with lower gain due to the noise and hiss
The56Kid
Puerto Rico

Post by The56Kid »

J.C. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:23 am In my opinion, the sounds that can be created with the Spark app can sometimes be very good.
However, there are tons of presets in the Toncloud that are the exact opposite.
This includes, of course presets that have been uploaded by users, that are so quiet that you can't even hear them. Often the threshold of the noise gate is raised too far and the tone dies. Often the effects are set too strong.
There is one thing you should be aware of with the more than 10,000 presets, and I've written that before. PG advertised these before even a single Spark was delivered. This means that they were not made with the Spark app, but come from other, previous programs / apps from PG. But what was created with Jamup, for example, and sounds great there, doesn't necessarily have to sound good with the Spark.
Go to the Tonecloud, there on All, sort by popularity. With the hits that are then displayed, you think these are the best presets there are for the Spark. The presets created by PG, which are located below, are also very good thanks to the series.
Otherwise, at least the front 100-150 presets were not created with the Spark app but were adopted from other applications, see above.
I don't think any Preset created with Spark has over 200 favorite hearts at this point.
If you take that into account, you can work better with the cloud.
I really appreciate what you and are doing here, Jurgen. All of the presets you’ve created are worthy of being saved as far as I’m concerned. I don’t play cover songs or do solos note for note, so I’m not bothered if one of your presets doesn’t exactly match my impression of Gilmour’s Comfortably Numb solo or not. I’m just happy to have a great sounding preset in my toolbox that I can call up as I jam my own songs or solo along to the Spark’s backing track library. So please keep them coming, sir!

You mention that the PG created presets are listed in this thread, but I didn’t see that. Where can I find that list?
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

"You mention that the PG created presets are listed in this thread, but I didn’t see that. Where can I find that list?"

Sorry man, it's my english. My german is much better.
What i would say is that the PG Presets are under/between these firts 100 - 150 favorites, not that there is somewhere a list of them.
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

@J.C.
I uploaded the "comfortably numb @" preset with tag "Samuele" or "Spark" to the tonecloud
can you please try it and then tell me how it sounds and how you feel with it?
(or anyone who wants to try it and tell me their impressions and how it sounds with their setup)
today the new replacement power supply arrived and most of the background noise disappeared, so I could better develop the tone that I heard in the video of the Live concert in Gdansk, inserting in the preset those that are the most characteristic effects of Gilmour, such as the Big Muff and the Flanger and using an amplifier with an American tone that makes everything sharper and a little acid, clearly with the bridge pickup, preferably in the Strat ;)
thanks
[/quote]

So Samuele i tested your Preset of Comfortably numb and made a short soundfile with the BT. I had to raise the threshold to 1.0 and the volume to 7. It was a bit too quiet with the BT.
And after this the same with my Preset.
What do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ame3jhos3tsl ... e.m4a?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovc4xodxr7kcx ... 0.m4a?dl=0
The56Kid
Puerto Rico

Post by The56Kid »

J.C. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:32 pm "You mention that the PG created presets are listed in this thread, but I didn’t see that. Where can I find that list?"

Sorry man, it's my english. My german is much better.
What i would say is that the PG Presets are under/between these firts 100 - 150 favorites, not that there is somewhere a list of them.
I can dig it!
S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

J.C. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm So Samuele i tested your Preset of Comfortably numb and made a short soundfile with the BT. I had to raise the threshold to 1.0 and the volume to 7. It was a bit too quiet with the BT.
And after this the same with my Preset.
What do you think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ame3jhos3tsl ... e.m4a?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovc4xodxr7kcx ... 0.m4a?dl=0
probably the difference in levels is due to the type of pickup.
in my opinion the two soundfiles, even if created with different effects, differ very little from each other
Your sound, with the same presets, is quite different from what I hear coming out of my Spark
if I can record it I'll let you hear, thanks for your patience JC
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

Recording on the Ipad is easy.
USB cable from the Spark to lightning into the IPad.
And then with Garageband is the easiest way for only audio recording.
DrBaroni
Italy

Post by DrBaroni »

Is it me, or both your presets lack the characteristic delay that Gilmour is a Master of? :?:

Anyway, I'll follow this discussion, as I'm interested in the topic... Both for the specific preset, AND for learning about how to build up a preset and get the sound I have in mind. :)

BTW... WHere do you find the backing track without David's guitar? :)