Keyboard to Spark Amp to Studio One?

Questions about the Spark amp hardware
Forum rules
Keep it nice, keep it clean. This forum is not run by Positive Grid, so complaints about slow deliveries and the like will be removed as they're useless.
2Piedrasmore
United States of America

Keyboard to Spark Amp to Studio One?

Post by 2Piedrasmore »

Can I connect my keyboard to the 1/4 inch input on the Spark and then pass that through the Spark amp into Studio One to record? I don't want to damage either device. Would I have similar limitations on playing low tones? I think I've learned that I can get a MIDI interface to go straight from the keyboard to the computer, but I'm wondering if I can safely accomplish the same thing using the Spark.

Also, I posted a question here before and got some wonderful help, but I don't know how to thank you for the answers. So...thank you for previous help.
DrBaroni
Italy

Re: Keyboard to Spark Amp to Studio One?

Post by DrBaroni »

2Piedrasmore wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:46 pm Can I connect my keyboard to the 1/4 inch input on the Spark and then pass that through the Spark amp into Studio One to record? I don't want to damage either device. Would I have similar limitations on playing low tones? I think I've learned that I can get a MIDI interface to go straight from the keyboard to the computer, but I'm wondering if I can safely accomplish the same thing using the Spark.

Also, I posted a question here before and got some wonderful help, but I don't know how to thank you for the answers. So...thank you for previous help.
Yes, you should be able to do that. I do the same with my ZOOM G5n pedalboard I use as a looper/drum machine: record a loop on the ZOOM, including drums, and then I connect the ZOOM to the Spark via the 1/4" Aux In plug and I play along it with the Spark. And I record it all through the Spark headphone out to a pocket TASCAM DR-7A digital recorder. Sounds PERFECT. :) ;)

I'm not quite sure about recording on a DAW via USB. I found that the output level of Spark's USB connection is ridicolously low, at least on mine. You'll have to try. :)

PS: shit... I was wrong. Aux in plug is not a 1/4", it's a 3.5 mm. So whatever I said is wrong, and S@muele right below here is totally right. Listen to him!
Last edited by DrBaroni on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

you would have to turn everything off to have a neutral sound but it would still not be suitable for the sound range of a keyboard
give it a try maybe it is to your liking.. normally you don't damage anything without exceeding the volume.
sure that directly to the PC you would avoid contamination, latencies, noises or rustles.
which keyboard?
Bluesguy
United States of America

Post by Bluesguy »

That it is designed to play not just electric guitar but acoustic guitar and bass and full range backing tracks it shouldn't be a problem using the correct cabling. Keep to volume output on the keyboard down and then slowly turn it up to where it is workable on the spark without any distortion.
2Piedrasmore
United States of America

Post by 2Piedrasmore »

Thanks all. I shall give it a go using an instrument cable. It is an older Casio wk3700 keyboard.