Spark hum

Questions about the Spark amp hardware
Forum rules
Keep it nice, keep it clean. This forum is not run by Positive Grid, so complaints about slow deliveries and the like will be removed as they're useless.
Mshrad88
United States of America

Spark hum

Post by Mshrad88 »

Looks like a lot of people are having problems with the Spark humming. I’ve only had the amp a few days and have noticed the same until I ground the strings with my hand. Sounds like a power supply problem that people have fixed by purchasing another supply chord. Before I spend money on another chord, I was wondering if anyone knows if Positive Grid is going to address this problem?
S@muele
Italy

Re: Spark hum

Post by S@muele »

Mshrad88 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 pm Looks like a lot of people are having problems with the Spark humming. I’ve only had the amp a few days and have noticed the same until I ground the strings with my hand. Sounds like a power supply problem that people have fixed by purchasing another supply chord. Before I spend money on another chord, I was wondering if anyone knows if Positive Grid is going to address this problem?
I seem to have understood that they change the power supply under warranty, but I have no idea how long it will take.
But I think it's more of a noisegate problem, since a real high gain amplifier really makes the same noise if not attenuated by a gate, so I imagine that if we send many requests for technical assistance, then PG will be persuaded to find a solution for a firmware change to improve the intervention of the noisegate
imho
don't you find?
(certainly the power supply is very cheap..)
Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Post by Richard »

You certainly have a point! I will definitely post it to PG as a feature request.
--
Spark40 #SO4OC1033322
XVive U2 Wireless System
Fender HSS Stratocaster
Heartfield DR-6
Chinese Gothic Explorer copy
rbradley27
United States of America

Post by rbradley27 »

I've also noticed that the DC plug doesn't seat very well in the jack. It feels very loose. Has anyone else noticed that?
J.C.
Germany

Post by J.C. »

S@muele wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:26 am
Mshrad88 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 pm Looks like a lot of people are having problems with the Spark humming. I’ve only had the amp a few days and have noticed the same until I ground the strings with my hand. Sounds like a power supply problem that people have fixed by purchasing another supply chord. Before I spend money on another chord, I was wondering if anyone knows if Positive Grid is going to address this problem?
I seem to have understood that they change the power supply under warranty, but I have no idea how long it will take.
But I think it's more of a noisegate problem, since a real high gain amplifier really makes the same noise if not attenuated by a gate, so I imagine that if we send many requests for technical assistance, then PG will be persuaded to find a solution for a firmware change to improve the intervention of the noisegate
imho
don't you find?
(certainly the power supply is very cheap..)
I was promised a grounded power supply 2 months ago. I'm still waiting for it. Others apparently only made a complaint a few days ago and have already received their power supply.
If it doesn't hum, it's not the Spark 😂😜😁
Joking aside, the ungrounded power supply is the main culprit. If this is exchanged, there are still some background noises left. This can then be reduced with the also not perfect noise gate.