Excessive hum

Questions about the Spark amp hardware
Forum rules
Keep it nice, keep it clean. This forum is not run by Positive Grid, so complaints about slow deliveries and the like will be removed as they're useless.
Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Excessive hum

Post by Richard »

Quite a few people seem to complain about excessive hum. This is usually caused by the power supply not being grounded,so you could find an alternative one (and badger Positive Grid that they should stop provided that p.o.s. they do :-)).
I have also read that people enable the noise gate to diminish the hum, with all the dials set to minimum.

In case you want to replace the power supply, Amazon has a good one for $18: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z4 ... UTF8&psc=1
--
Spark40 #SO4OC1033322
XVive U2 Wireless System
Fender HSS Stratocaster
Heartfield DR-6
Chinese Gothic Explorer copy
S@muele
Italy

Re: Excessive hum

Post by S@muele »

with the latest firmware the noise gate is unusable..
and I don't think mine is a power supply grounding problem
as far as I'm concerned with clean or glassy amp there is no problem (and I have a Strato) but I'm referring to the inevitable hum due to the more powerful amps with high gain or volume,
at low values ​​the sustain of the sound is stopped unnaturally while, by raising the threshold, the dynamics are cut off in a horrible way and everything is unstable.
I find the decay useless.
this is very annoying..
I'd be curious to know other experiences, maybe comparing the same preset, it would be interesting
I also sent a support request to PG a few days ago, but they haven't answered me yet
Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Post by Richard »

What's the version name of that firmware? Maybe we should steer clear of that update then.
--
Spark40 #SO4OC1033322
XVive U2 Wireless System
Fender HSS Stratocaster
Heartfield DR-6
S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

Richard wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:55 pm What's the version name of that firmware? Maybe we should steer clear of that update then.
the latest available on the PG forum, v1.2.3.37 beta
Mkesse
Italy

Post by Mkesse »

Ciao, io ho ricevuto lo Spark 2 giorni fa, 100 giorni dall'ordine !!!
Ma al momento il mio unico problema (era) l' ELETTRO SHOCK causato dalla quasi totale mancanza di messa a terra dell'alimentatore
non ho fatto misurazoni con un multimetro , per il momento solo con un cerca fase toccando le corde della chitarra e mi dava tensione dalle 12 V alle 36 V (prendevo delle belle scosse)
nei prossimi giorni farò un video utilizzando un multimetro digitale.

Ho risolto con un alimentatore nuovo preso su Amazon, adesso funziona alla grande .

Per esperienza un alimentatore di scarsa qualità porta molti molti problemi.

Marco
Richard
Site Admin
Netherlands

Post by Richard »

Google Translate:

Hello, I received the Spark 2 days ago, 100 days from the order !!!
But at the moment my only problem (was) the ELECTRO SHOCK caused by the almost total lack of grounding of the power supply
I did not make measurements with a multimeter, at the moment only with a phase finder touching the guitar strings and it gave me voltage from 12 V to 36 V (I was taking some good shocks)
in the next few days I will make a video using a digital multimeter.

I solved it with a new power supply taken from Amazon, now it works great.

From experience a poor quality power supply brings many many problems.

Marco
--
Spark40 #SO4OC1033322
XVive U2 Wireless System
Fender HSS Stratocaster
Heartfield DR-6
S@muele
Italy

Post by S@muele »

Mkesse wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:05 pm Ciao, io ho ricevuto lo Spark 2 giorni fa, 100 giorni dall'ordine !!!
Ma al momento il mio unico problema (era) l' ELETTRO SHOCK causato dalla quasi totale mancanza di messa a terra dell'alimentatore
non ho fatto misurazoni con un multimetro , per il momento solo con un cerca fase toccando le corde della chitarra e mi dava tensione dalle 12 V alle 36 V (prendevo delle belle scosse)
nei prossimi giorni farò un video utilizzando un multimetro digitale.

Ho risolto con un alimentatore nuovo preso su Amazon, adesso funziona alla grande .

Per esperienza un alimentatore di scarsa qualità porta molti molti problemi.

Marco
Ciao Marco
senza ombra di dubbio l'alimentatore originale è pessimo.. quale hai acquistato? puoi linkare il modello? grazie

"Hello Marco
without a doubt the original power supply is bad .. which one did you buy? can you link the model? thank you"
rbradley27
United States of America

Post by rbradley27 »

Richard wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:09 am
In case you want to replace the power supply, Amazon has a good one for $18: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z4 ... UTF8&psc=1
Just an fyi....that particular unit was sold out, so I ended up getting a different one with the same voltage, current, polarity, and plug specs, but when I received it the plug 5.5mm x 2.5mm wouldn't fit. I'm wondering if PG used different jacks on some of the units.
jrp
United States of America

Post by jrp »

Richard wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:09 am Quite a few people seem to complain about excessive hum. This is usually caused by the power supply not being grounded,so you could find an alternative one (and badger Positive Grid that they should stop provided that p.o.s. they do :-)).
I have also read that people enable the noise gate to diminish the hum, with all the dials set to minimum.

The same problem, reached the same conclusion, same solution, and that is even the same power supply that I bought - received the next day from Amazon, no more buzz.
I have a ticket open and had told them what the issue was, went back and forth w/support and the third time they wanted me to do a demonstration video. That is when I found a matching GROUNDED power supply on Amazon. Done. Debating as to whether or not to even respond to support anymore on this but I probably won't be able to help myself from it.
I don't get it - no amplifier company would include a two-prong ungrounded plug much less ungrounded external power supply. What DOES tick me off a bit is that support did not offer to replace the power supply with a 3-prong grounded supply (which some others have already received or are "awaiting" delivery) after I told them the exact problem. I guess it all depends on the support "tech" that you draw.
D10S
United States of America

Post by D10S »

I’ve found that if I turn up the threshold on the Gate it eliminates much of the hum/buzz. I still hope a better solution is found with either a firmware update or sending out new ac plugs to fix the issue permanently.